About Camp Jump Start
Camp Jump Start is a weight loss camp for teens that offers programs designed by health professionals. It considers itself to be a “whole health camp” for kids, meaning that it addresses and transforms not only the physical health of campers, but also emotional and social health. Camp Jump Start encourages kids to be kids by disconnecting them from electronics and promoting the fun of active playing.
Camp Jump Start offers the following programs for kids ages 9-18:
- 4-week camps
- 8-week camps
- 2-week refresher sessions
Camp Jump Start believes that it takes 21-28 days to break bad habits and create a foundation for new routines. During the 4-week camps, kids should learn how to make life changes to help them be successful not only at camp but when they get back home.
Camp Jump Start’s 8-week camps offer total immersion into a new routine.The length of the camp offers a better chance for long-term success. Campers lose the most weight in the 8-week camp when compared to the 4-week camp. Also, while the shorter camp teaches kids how to live a healthy life, the 8-week camp allows more time to build a routine so that the behavior becomes more normal to them.
The 8-week program offers cooking classes and menu planning ideas. The hope is that kids will be able to come home with kid-friendly recipes that the whole family can enjoy.
2-week Refresher Session
The 2-week refresher session is intended to reward previous campers who’ve managed to stay successful. The 2-week camp isn’t necessarily geared toward weight-loss but encourages maintenance of a healthy weight.is designed to be a reward for campers who maintain their success.
Campers sleep in air-conditioned cabins with between 8-10 kids of the same age. There are private showers and toilets in the cabins.
Camp Jump Start offers campers meals with a caloric value of between 1400-1600 calories per day, depending on their age, gender and needs. There are three meals and two snacks. Meals are offered in the camp’s dining hall. For kids who are still hungry after lunch and dinner, there is an open salad bar. The camp offers normal food that most kids are accustomed to, but that meet healthier standards. Snacks even include things like brownies and root beer floats.
Camp Jump Start does not have a regimented, strict schedule of activities for kids to abide by. Instead, it creates a schedule based on each child’s interests, to make physical activity fun for them. Boys and girls exercise separately. Examples of activities include:
- Aquatics at the Pool
- Balance/ Posture/ Core Exercises
- Cardio Exercise
- Instructional Biking
- Noncompetitive Sports
- Self Defense
- Strength Training
- Waterfront Activities
Besides the aforementioned fitness activities, the following is also included with tuition:
- Arts & Crafts
- Basic Nutrition
- Fun Evening Activities/ Games
- Health Education
- Physical and Fitness Assessments
- Social skills
- Sunday Electives
- WIT® Curriculum
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Stress Management Techniques
- Relaxation Techniques
- Climbing Wall Challenge
- First Aid Simulations
- Wilderness Survival
The Camp Jump Start program is located at Living Well Village:
3602 Lions Den Road
Imperial, MO 63052
Living Well Village is about one-half hour from downtown St. Louis, Missouri, located on 250 acres of land that includes a private, 5-acre lake.
Tuition is all-inclusive and not-for-profit.
- 4-week Sessions — $4,350.00
- 8-week Sessions — $8,250.00
- 2-week Refresher — $2,500.00
Camp Jump Start focuses on teaching kids healthy habits and how to have fun by staying active. It considers itself to be the only non-profit camp with a mission to jump start the success of every camper. It is a traditional camp setting with a focus on outdoor activities and making new friends.
Camp Jump Start Pros
- Great foundation for building healthy habits – Camp Jump Start pairs campers with kids their own age, thus building a support system they can relate to. It teaches kids that they can still eat the things they like but in moderation and while staying active.
- Central Location – Camp Jump Start is located about one-half hour from St. Louis, Missouri.
- Wide Variety of Activities – There is a wide variety of activities offered at Camp Jump Start, and since kids get to choose what they want to do, they feel as if they’re in control while helping them enjoy their summer while getting fit.
Camp Jump Start Cons
- Not Private – Although it is normal for a camp setting, having to stay in a cabin with 8-10 other kids may be intimidating for some.
- No Email or Phone Calls for the First Week – For the first week of camp, kids are not allowed to call home or email their friends and family.