What is a Diet Retreat?
A diet retreat is a spa or resort that offers reduced-calorie meals designed for weight loss or detoxification. Diet retreats and diet resorts offer guests a way to get healthy through specialized nutrition or fasting in a controlled environment.
Some retreats are offered year-round, but many have set limited schedules throughout the year. These retreats may be just a few days, or as long as several weeks. FitStays can help you compare every diet retreat in the United States to find out which option is right for you.
Most weight loss diet retreats are all-inclusive, meaning that all meals, lodging, and activities are included in the program price. Some extras such as spa treatments may be added cost, but you may need to review each retreat’s details to see which aspects fall into the all-inclusive weight loss program.
Unlike other weight loss retreats, most diet retreats offer only limited exercise options. Some diet retreats may offer stretch or yoga classes, while others have walking paths or light hiking trails nearby. If you’re looking for a more active weight loss retreats, explore fitness retreats and resorts at FitStays.
Types of Diet Retreats
There are many different types of diet retreats, catering to the differing needs of their guests. Find out which specialty fits best for your lifestyle.
- Diet Retreats – These are the standard retreats offering calorie-limited meals for weight loss. Retreats may have fewer than three meals per day, or other alternative meal schedules.
- Detox Retreats – Many retreats in this list could be considered “detox retreats” while still offering a vegetarian, vegan, raw food, or fasting program. What makes a detox retreat is the guiding principle that rather than focusing on weight loss, the retreat will clean the body of toxins and improve overall health.
- Vegetarian Retreats – Vegetarian retreats are similar to standard diet retreats, however their limited menus exclude meat and meat products. Guests at vegetarian retreats do not necessarily need to be vegetarian themselves; the nutrition can be healthy for everyone.
- Vegan Retreats – Like vegetarian retreats, vegan retreats have a restrictive menu, but with vegan-only meals. Guests who live a vegan lifestyle outside of the retreat will find the meals comfortable to their tastes, but even non-vegan guests can enjoy the menu.
- Keto Retreats – Ketogenic retreats follow a diet consisting of high fat, adequate protein, and low carbohydrates. The keto diet is designed to force the body to burn fats instead of carbohydrates. You may wish to explore a keto diet prior to attending a keto retreat.
- Raw Food Retreats – These retreats provide vegetarian or vegan meals, specifically focused on uncooked foods. Raw food retreats encourage guests to get “back to basics” of simple meals for weight loss.
- Juice Fasting Retreats – More intense than diet-specialized retreat, a juice fasting retreat replaces meals with fruit and vegetable juices. Juicing retreats typically make their own juices fresh on-location.
- Water Fasting Retreats – The most extreme change in diet is giving up all food and drinks, and intaking only water (or water and tea) for a set period of time. When you are ready to break the fast, retreats typically reintroduce juices and solid foods to guests at a reasonable pace.
Best Diet Retreats 2019
Whether you are looking for weight loss, detoxification, or just a nutritional push, FitStays has the information you need. Compare reviews and pricing of every diet retreat in the United States, and find out which retreat is right for you.
Deer Lake Lodge
Deer Lake Lodge is a health spa 45 miles northwest of Houston in Montgomery, Texas. This diet retreat focuses on detoxification, juicing, and fasting for holistic cleansing and weight loss.
Unlike many diet retreats, the resort of Deer Lake Lodge operates year-round, through single-day or all-inclusive overnight programs. The program focuses on fasting and raw food nutrition combined with colonic treatments from a certified physician. Deer Lake does offer yoga classes, but no other fitness options. As a result, weight loss at Deer Lake Lodge will come mostly from a net negative caloric intake during your time at the retreat.
About Deer Lake Lodge Deer Lake Lodge is a year-round all-inclusive diet retreat located in Southeast Texas, about 45 miles northwest of Houston. The resort focuses on holistic bodily cleansing,
Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat
Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat is a weight-loss and detoxification diet retreat in Massachusetts on Martha’s Vineyard Island. Their liquid diet is combined with natural health support treatments to help guests lose weight and feel healthy.
The Holistic Retreat has multiple plans and programs, including an all-inclusive 7-, 14-, or 21-day retreat administered by author and nutritional expertDr. Roni DeLuz. Detoxification and weight loss programs include coaching, yoga, and personal consultations, in addition to the detoxification nutrition and fasting.
About Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat is a weight-loss and detoxification diet retreat located on the northern tip of Martha’s Vineyard Island in Massachusetts.
Detox Oasis is a “retreat ranch” in southern Indiana offering diet, detoxification, juicing, and fitness. Their specialized programs are designed for weight loss, cleansing, or fitness performance.
The programs at Detox Oasis range from yoga and boot camp-style fitness to their signature detoxification program, which includes nutritional meals and supplements. Program retreats range from 6 to 20 days, depending on the guest’s overall goal. Guests will work in small groups for additional support and encouragement. Additional program options include colon cleansing, skin brushing, and sauna time.
Sedona Wellness Retreat
Sedona Wellness Retreat is a diet retreat in Arizona hosted at a bed and breakfast called The Lodge at Arizona. This retreat uses naturopathic and nutritional techniques such as organic vegetarian meals and juices in addition to fasting programs.
The Sedona Wellness Retreat programs are offered from two- to twelve-weeks, depending on guests’ medical and weight loss needs. One program focuses on organic vegetarian nutrition and juicing, while their water fasting program provides guests exclusively with water and tea during the fasting period, followed by a recovery period refeeding through juices.
Programs at Sedona Wellness Retreat are centered around nutrition and fasting, however the retreat also offers optional yoga classes, lab testing, supplements, acupuncture, and massage.
About Sedona Wellness Retreat Sedona Wellness Retreat is a diet retreat hosted at the Lodge at Sedona, a bed and breakfast inn located at the heart of Sedona, Arizona. The main focus of this FitStay
We Care Spa
We Care Spa is an all-inclusive diet and detox retreat located in Desert Hot Springs, California. Retreat offerings last for either two, five, or seven nights, where guests will adhere to a liquid diet augmented with supplements and colonic cleanses. The program also offers optional services such as yoga classes, spa services, and meditation.
About We Care Spa We Care Spa is a diet retreat in Desert Hot Springs, California focused on four components of total well-being: prefast, detox, treatment, and classes. The resort philosophy is to
Balance for Life Florida
Balance for Life is a diet retreat located in Deerfield Beach, Florida. The all-inclusive retreat offers fitness weight loss programs, as well as vegan meals, juice cleanses, and one of only two water-only fasting programs in the United States.
The Balance for Life retreat program lasts three, five, or seven days, and includes meals and accommodations plus bonus spa credits. Balance for Life is housed at the The Wyndham Beach Resort at Deerfield Beach, meaning guests will have luxury hotel accommodations while participating in the program.
About Balance for Life Florida Balance for Life is a diet retreat located on the Atlantic coast in Deerfield Beach, Florida, about 17 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. With the mission to empower
COR Retreat is an all-inclusive diet retreat in Wayzata, Minnesota. The weight loss retreat program lasts five days, and utilizes methods adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to help guests recover from food addiction.
The nutrition at COR Retreat is focused around low-calorie healthy meals, and is combined with walks, lectures, and meditation for guests to be successful at losing weight and changing their relationship with food. COR Retreat is located at the McIver Center for Spiritual Development in Minnesota’s Big Woods Preserve.
Happy & Raw
Happy & Raw is an all-inclusive raw food detox retreat in Hawaii offering flexible 8-day retreats as well as private diet retreats. Retreats take place at Sacred Source Springs, a natural hot spring in Pahoa, HI, while the resort is solar-powered and off the grid.
As indicated by the name, Happy & Raw serves exclusively raw and whole foods during their meals. Guests are also allowed to pick fresh fruits and vegetables along with the hosts for the daily meals. Nutrition at Happy & Raw is combined with wellness discussions and meal classes for guests to take home learnings with them.
HCG Retreat is an all-inclusive detox and fasting retreat in Honolulu, Hawaii. The program at HCG focuses on mental, physical, and emotional aspects of health and weight loss. The retreat is located at a small bed and breakfast resort, and offers raw food meals, nutrition classes, and optional juice fasting plans. Guests are able to schedule their retreat at any time year-round.
Picking a Diet Retreat
Not every retreat is right for everyone. Review a few of your favorites on this page, and ask yourself some questions to help determine the ideal retreat:
- What nutritional restrictions do I require?
- Is my goal detoxification or weight loss?
- Does the retreat operate year-round or with limited dates?
Read retreat reviews on FitStays, and check out our blog for more advice on fitness, health, weight loss, and travel.