Biggest Loser Resort at Amelia Island is Closed
Update 5/18/19: Biggest Loser Resort at Amelia Island is now permanently closed. There is currently one open location of the Biggest Loser Resort in New York. FitStays has lots more information about that location: Biggest Loser Resort.
About Biggest Loser Resort – Amelia Island
Biggest Loser Resort (BLR) – Amelia Island is an all-inclusive weight-loss/fitness boot camp located just off the northeast coast of Florida. At BLR Amelia Island, guests are provided a comprehensive and individualized lifestyle plan to help them achieve their health and weight-loss goals.
Through a mission statement centered on fitness, nutrition, education, relaxation and group camaraderie, BLR Amelia Island provides guests with expertly trained staff members, a natural beach environment, and modern amenities to help facilitate the weight-loss process during their 7-day stay.
BLR Amelia Island offers stays in one-week increments that are available to adults and teens (ages 14-17, that are accompanied by an adult).
Fitness classes and lectures are located on-site at the resort, though other activities (such as shopping, museums and water sports) are available off-site.
BLR Amelia Island offers a range of rooms that overlook the Atlantic Ocean and 3.5 miles of sand beaches.
This resort offers a Standard room option (two queen-size beds), and a One Bedroom Villa option (king-size bed with living furniture). Guests may stay in these rooms individually, or choose to share either room type with another guest for a discounted rate.
Both boarding options offer the following amenities:
- A jetted Whirlpool tub and stand-up shower
- Private patio or balcony
- Refrigerator with mini fridge
- In-room washer and dryer
- High Speed Wi-Fi
- Flat-screen television with cable channels
- Full kitchen (Villa only)
Additionally, this fitness resort offers guests a variety of activities and additional amenities including:
- 54-hole golf course
- Nature-inspired spa
- Bike and Segway rental
- Water Sports
Some of these activities (such as the spa) are available only for an additional charge.
The Fitness Program at BLR Amelia Island begins with a fitness assessment before guests enter the resort. This assessment measures each individuals’ exercise ability in common activities such as jogging, squats, crunches and push-ups. This assessment is then repeated at the end of a guest’s stay to measure their progress.
BLR Amelia Island claims one of their main focuses is to make exercise fun. Workouts at this FitStay last for 30-45 minutes, while exercise coaches teach guests how to avoid injury and to properly care for their bodies. Fitness options include:
- Water Aerobics
Guests who stay longer than one week have the option to re-attend first-week fitness classes, or they may take “stay-over” classes that expand on first-week learning or teach them additional skills.
For an additional cost, guests can also book one-on-one sessions with staff members for more individualized training.
BLR Amelia Island offers diet plans customized to each visitor’s intended goal, whether they are hoping to lose weight, train for an athletic event, or something else entirely. They also offer vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and diabetic meal plans.
The nutrition plan at BLR Amelia Island is based off of 4 key principles:
- Adding non-GMO, whole, unprocessed, organic foods from local sources
- Eliminating sweeteners, preservatives, alcohol, and caffeine
- Regulating dairy, fat, gluten, salt, and added sugar intake
- Formulating a diet plan/calorie count based on each guest’s muscle mass and BMR
At this FitStay, a team of trained nutritional experts teach guests how to prepare nutritious but enjoyable meals at home, in order to give guests the tools they need to maintain a healthy lifestyle after leaving the resort.
Each day, BLR Amelia Island offers guests three full meals (including dessert with dinner) and two snacks. All food costs are included within the price of a stay.
BLR Amelia Island offers a wide-range of Fundamentals, Life Skills, and Stress Management courses. Some of these classes include:
- Label Reading
- Knowing Your Metabolism
- Dining Out Strategies
- Nutrition Fundamentals
- Wellness Discussion
- Becoming Your Own Personal Trainer
- Pi Yo
- Cooking Demonstrations
Classes are included in the all-inclusive price of the resort. However, one-on-one training sessions with experienced staff members are available at an extra cost.
The Spa at Amelia Island offers relaxation options for men, women, and children at an additional cost.
Based on a mission statement of “Clean and Green,” this full-service spa uses only organic and fair-trade products to ensure quality services for guests.
Spa amenities include:
- Massage (Individual and Couples)
- Steam Showers
- Makeup Application
- Signature Seaside Sensory Journey and Plantation Blossom Rituals
BLR Amelia Island is located about 30 miles north of the Jacksonville International Airport, at the tip of Amelia Island off of the Florida Coast.
Guests choosing to fly arrive at the Jacksonville International Airport and take a rental car or shuttle ride ($60 per person) to the resort.
Biggest Loser Resort – Amelia Island offers a range of prices for guests, depending on desired room type, length of visit, and whether or not guests choose to share a room with another visitor.
BLR Amelia Island offers visits at weekly intervals, starting at one week and extending to twelve or more. Guests who stay at the resort longer receive discounted rates. Pricing for a 1-week stay starts at $2,445 and goes up depending on room selection.
BLR Amelia Island also partners with Prosper Healthcare Lending, a firm that offers healthcare financing through an online application system on the Biggest Loser Resort’s webpage.
Biggest Loser Resort – Amelia Island is a fitness retreat that is focused on weight loss and helping guests make healthy lifestyle choices. BLR Amelia Island offers a variety of fitness strategies and individual diet plans. The resort gives guests an opportunity to change their lifestyle by providing highly trained staff and a relaxing beach environment where guests can focus on reaching their health goals and needs.
Biggest Loser – Amelia Island Pros
- Individualized Lifestyle Plans – BLR Amelia Island caters to each guest’s individual health needs. The trained staff at this FitStay customize exercise and diet plans according to each guest’s BMR and fitness goals.
- Fitness Class Variety – This resort offers a few dozen different fitness activities from Mountain Climbing to Kickboxing to Kettleball. This allows guests to achieve their weight loss goals in activities they are interested in, with the hope that they will continue this exercise once they leave the resort.
- Trained Expert Staff – Many guests have commented on the quality of BLR Amelia Island’s expert staff members. BLR Amelia Island’s trained and nurturing staff teach guests how to prepare food, exercise, and meditate successfully, giving them hands-on skills they can integrate into their daily lifestyle.
Biggest Loser – Amelia Island Cons
- Expense – While BLR Amelia Island offers a large variety of lectures, fitness classes, and accommodations, it is more costly than other Florida-based fitness resorts.
- Older Accommodations – BLR Amelia Island is an older resort, and some guests who have visited have mentioned that the group rooms and equipment need updating.
- Lack of Privacy – One of the biggest principles of Bigger Loser Resorts is group camaraderie in both fitness and nutrition. While many guests appreciate the team-spirit mentality and enjoy the company, some have also said that this can lead to experiencing a lack of privacy from other visitors.