About The Biggest Loser Resort
Located in Java Center, NY, the Biggest Loser weight loss resort is open year round and accommodates a wide range of fitness levels. Exercise and fitness play a major role in the program, along with calorie-controlled meals and healthy snacks. Nestled in 300 quiet acres, the resort also features several lakes and hiking trails.
The resort is targeted toward adults, however, teens ages 14-17 are allowed to stay at the resort and participate in the program if they are accompanied by a participating adult.
The resort is located in the Pines of upstate New York and includes three private lakes. In addition to the hiking trails, the resort also has 5,000 square feet of aerobic, fitness, and workout facilities.
Guests can book either a standard room or a villa. The 400 square foot standard room comes with either a king size bed or two double beds. The villa is slightly larger with 650 square feet, a king size bed or two double beds, and a private patio.
All rooms include:
- Free High-speed Wi-Fi
- Cable television
- Resort or lake view
- Indoor aquatic center
- Fitness village
- Game and billiards room
- Laundry facilities
- Nightly bonfires
- Hiking trails in the Pines of upstate New York
- Lakeside outdoor pool and hot tub
- Free parking
The resort also offers offsite packages to guests who wish to stay in nearby areas instead of at the resort.
Companies may wish to make use of the facility’s full-size conference center, available for meetings and events.
Fitness at Biggest Loser Resort
Like The Biggest Loser television show, this resort puts an emphasis on exercise and fitness. Several guests later commented that the trainers were skilled and personal, just like at the Biggest Loser Ranch. One reviewer added that the trainers were encouraging without simply chanting phrases like “You’re doing great!”
The program is adjustable to meet a wide variety of fitness abilities and each participant is encouraged to go at their own pace or modify the exercises as needed.
The movement therapy classes offer a wide selection of fun and challenging skills including:
- Nature Walk
- Pool Class
- Pyramid Challenge
- Core Training
Activities available at or near the resort include:
- Bass Fishing
- Sand Volleyball
- Indoor and Outdoor Shuffleboard
- Bocce Ball Court
- Snow Shoeing (seasonal)
- Cross Country Skiing (seasonal)
- Basketball Court
- Tennis Court
Food at Biggest Loser Resort
Although the meal options are calorie controlled and healthy, it isn’t your typical diet food. Many of the guests list the cuisine as one of the highlights of their stay and stated that they never felt hungry.
Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner with dessert are made from quality, farm-to-table ingredients. The menu is varied with examples ranging from Mahi-mahi, to fresh hummus, to chili with cornbread. All of the recipes are available to guests so that you can continue to enjoy healthy meal options when you go home.
Sugary foods and caffeinated drinks are eliminated from the environment to help guests focus on healthier options. Although it may seem intimidating to go caffeine-free, many find that the nutritious meals and vibrant environment are enough to feel energetic without the crutch of caffeine.
Guests have the opportunity to relax and be pampered in Spa Alexis, the full-service spa available at the Niagara resort. The spa includes services like massages (deep tissue, hot stone, or essential oils), facials, body scrubs, mani-pedis, detox treatments, and more. You can even get your hair cut and colored.
Class options are divided into several categories. The fundamentals classes will help you understand your body and set reasonable goals. They also include sessions on nutrition and cooking demos in a state-of-the-art demo kitchen.
The lifeskill and stress management classes give guests the tools they need to be their own personal trainer and learn methods for dealing with stress. These are designed to help people succeed in their wellness goals far beyond the time that they spend at the resort.
Many guests praised the quality of the trainers and the passion that they brought to their classes.
Biggest Loser Resort Locations
The Biggest Loser Resort is located in Java Center, New York. Java Center is 35 miles southeast of Buffalo, NY and about an hour southeast of Niagara Falls, NY. The recommended airport is Buffalo-Niagara (BUF) which is about 35 to 40 minutes away from the resort. Airport transportation to the resort is also available.
Other Biggest Loser Resort locations used to exist around the country, but the Java Center/Niagara location is the only one that remains open.
- Biggest Loser Resort at Amelia Island in Florida is permanently closed.
- Biggest Loser Resort at Palm Desert in California is permanently closed.
- Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge in Utah is no longer affiliated with the TV show, and is now called Movara Fitness Resort.
Although three Biggest Loser Resort locations have closed or changed affiliations, the Java Center/Niagara location is committed to staying open and helping guests achieve their weight loss goals.
Biggest Loser Resort Cost & Pricing
The Biggest Loser Resort pricing starts at $2,445 per week, and goes up to $3,295 per week depending on your room type.
The minimum stay at the resort is one week (Sunday to Sunday) and guests receive discounts if they book for more than one week. Standard single-week pricing is as follows:
- Standard private room – $2,995/week
- Standard shared room – $2,445/week per person
- Villa private room – $3,295/week
- Villa shared room – $2,745/week per person
The shared rooms are only for guests who come as a group, since the resort does not pair separate guests as roommates.
Biggest Loser Resort Summary
This is an exercise-focused weight loss resort in a beautiful setting that includes calorie-controlled meals and is designed for a wide variety of fitness levels. It includes several fitness and lifestyle classes, along with ample hiking opportunities, and an on-site spa.
The Biggest Loser Resort Pros
- Several Hiking Trails – The property stretches across 300 acres of pine trees and lakes and has many nature trails.
- Calorie-Controlled Meals – With regard to weight loss, reviewers said they appreciated that the meals were calorie controlled, but also claimed that the food was delicious and filling.
- Suitable for a Variety of Fitness Levels – There are many exercise options to choose from and the trainers offer several modifications so that guests can go at their own pace.
The Biggest Loser Resort Cons
- Rigid Booking Schedule – The minimum stay is one week and must be booked Sunday to Sunday.
- Shared Property – The retreat center sometimes hosts outside events like weddings. A few guests complained that these other groups were a disturbance or distraction.
- Isolated -The resort is several miles from the nearby towns and cities. This is a positive feature for some, but others may find it inconvenient.