About Camp Shane Arizona
Camp Shane Arizona is a family owned and operated summer weight loss camp for boys aged 7-19 and girls aged 7-17 in Mayer, Arizona. The main focus of this camp is to make weight loss for overweight children and teens manageable, fun, and sustainable over the course of their two- to six-week stay.
The program at Camp Shane Arizona is divided into three two-week sessions, of which parents may choose to send their child to one, two, or all three. During these sessions, children and teens participate in both indoor and outdoor activities, partake in nutritional cuisine prepared by on-site chefs and guided by a dietitian, and enjoy activities such as arts and crafts, social events, theater performances, and more.
Note that Camp Shane Arizona only offers sessions at specific weeks during the summer. For example, in 2018 the first session runs from June 10 to June 24, the second from June 24 to July 8, and July 8 to July 22.
Campers at Camp Shane Arizona stay at the Orme School in Mayer, Arizona, in on-site cabins and dorms. Adult counselors sleep in the same cabins/dorms as campers to ensure 24/7 supervision and safety. No further information on accommodations is provided on the Camp Shane Arizona Website.
Camp Shane Arizona offers a wide variety of physical activities to make weight loss more enjoyable for young children and teens. They emphasize that their program is structured around fun rather than a strict, rigorous fitness program. The camp offers the use of an indoor gym and several outdoor spaces for an assortment of activities including:
- Sports (volleyball, soccer, football, basketball, archery, tennis)
- Forest Hikes
- Desert Runs
- Pool Swimming
- Weight Training
- Stretching Classes
- Yoga Classes
Camp Shane Arizona offers a healthy cuisine and nutritional education to help its children and teen guests both to lose weight and to keep weight off after their stay. The camp has an on-site registered dietitian who guides the food production and service at the camp, as well as educates guests on the benefits and importance of eating healthy.
Campers are served three meals and two snacks daily. The camp’s menu includes primarily fresh fruits and vegetables and meals cooked from scratch with minimal sugar and artificial ingredients. These meals include high amounts of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats to keep guests satisfied while losing weight. The camp can also accommodate vegetarian diets, kosher diets, and campers with food allergies.
After each camper’s stay, his or her parents are provided with the “Camp Shane at Home Booklet,” which offers valuable information on nutrition, cooking, and fitness with the intention of helping parents to help their children keep weight off after they depart from the camp.
In addition to their fitness activities and nutritional offerings, Camp Shane Arizona provides the opportunity for campers to engage socially and participate in a variety of different activities to complement their weight loss activities. These include:
- Arts and Crafts
- Evening Social Events
- Theater Performances
- Horseback Riding
- Outdoor Day Trips
Camp Shane Arizona also offers Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) overseen by an on-site psychologist designed to help campers overcome mental barriers that often obstruct healthy living and change. The CBT program at Camp Shane is offered for a $30 to $45 weekly fee, depending on camp location.
Camp Shane Arizona is located at the Orme School in Mayer, Arizona, about a 1-hour drive north of Phoenix, Arizona. Those arriving at Sky Harbor Airport can arrive via rental car or shuttle ($75+ one-way).
Camp Shane Arizona offers several stay-length options ranging from two to six weeks. Stays are divided into two-week sessions, which cost $2,520/session with discounts for combining two (four weeks) or all three (six weeks) sessions. Additionally, they offer a weekly extension rate for campers who wish to stay longer. The pricing is structured as follows:
- 1 session (2 weeks): $2,520
- 2 sessions (4 weeks): $4,740 (save $300)
- 3 sessions (6 weeks): $6,655 (save $905)
- Weekly extension (per week): $1,260
Parents looking to send their child or teen to a weight loss camp which focuses on making fitness and nutrition fun and sustainable for two, four, or six weeks during the summer may want to consider Camp Shane Arizona. Keep in mind that Camp Shane operates in multiple locations including Arizona, Florida, New York, Wisconsin, California, Georgia, and Texas, so be sure to select the location that is most convenient.
Camp Shane Arizona Pros
- Wide Variety of Activities – Campers can enjoy a range of activities from indoor and outdoor sports to arts and crafts and theater.
- Fun-focused – Rather than focusing on strict diet and fitness programs, this camp aims to make weight loss fun and accessible for children and teens.
- Warm Location – This FitStay’s location in Mayer, Arizona, makes it ideal for outdoor activities, sports, and day-trips.
Camp Shane Arizona Cons
- Lack of Information on Accommodations – There is a noticeable lack of information regarding accommodations on their website, making it difficult to compare that aspect of this FitStay with others.
- Set Dates – The three two-week sessions offered by Camp Shane Arizona are held during set dates during the summer. This may not work for everyone.
- No Shorter Stay Options – Those looking for a children and teen weight loss camp for less than two weeks may want to consider a different FitStay.