About The Copperhood Resort and Spa
For 26 years, The Copperhood Resort and Spa has been designing wellness vacations. With a focus on total body wellbeing, the health retreat offers detoxes, cleanses, and fitness restoration. Their personalized fasting and eating protocols are touted to encourage weight loss. They also claim success at breaking food and dietary substance addictions.
Located in the scenic Catskills Mountains, the Copperhood Resort and Spa provides many opportunities to reconnect with nature. It is a 2 hour drive from New York City. Packages range from 3 through 21 nights.
The Copperhood Resort and Spa is intimate, offering just 19 rentals. There are standard rooms, duplexes, two bedroom suites, 1 grand suite, and a private apartment. All accommodations are decorated in classic country fashion to match the surroundings. Modern amenities include:
- Goose down duvets
- Velour bathrobes
- Organic bathroom products
- Magnifying mirrors
- Hair dryers
- Air conditioning
- Free high-speed internet access
- Writing desks
- DVD players
There is a strong focus on outdoor activities at The Copperhood Resort and Spa, including:
- Nordic walking
- Nature walks
- Cross-country skiing
- Fly fishing
Their private indoor gym provides a variety of exercise and weight lifting equipment. Organized aerobic classes accommodate mixed fitness levels and do not require previous participation. Certified personal trainers are available for one-on-one or group instruction.
One of the retreat’s goals is to help their guests incorporate Mindful Eating into their daily lives. The kitchen offers a variety of meal packages to accomplish this goal. The Classic Menu is inspired by international cuisine and includes ingredients that are grown on the property or come from local organic providers. It also includes a plethora of meat and fish. Guests with dietary restrictions such as gluten free meals or lactose intolerance can make specific requests ahead of their stay. Kosher meals are not included in the Classic Menu.
The Juice and Bone Broth Menu is part of the retreat’s detox and accelerated weight loss program. Juices are created using fresh, raw, organic fruits and vegetables. The bone broth simmers for hours and is rich in natural collagen and antioxidants. The Raw Food Menu is vegan, and all ingredients are prepared without cooking to preserve vitamins and enzymes.
This FitStay also offers a full service day spa, complete with 7 treatment rooms, an outdoor cabana, a water therapy suite, hydrotherapy tub, Scotch hose and steam chamber, pool, Finnish sauna, jacuzzi, and steam room. Treatments include a variety of massages, facials, and scrubs. A sunlit yoga studio is available for group lessons or private sessions.
The property feels like a rustic country home because it is just that. The owner lives in a house next door to the inn, and she regularly teaches fitness classes or leads walks through the woods. Many meals are served outdoors on a large deck overlooking the Esopus Creek. The property boasts its own vegetable and herb gardens, and it is also home to the resort’s many alpacas and egg laying flock of hens.
The Copperhood Resort and Spa is located in Shandaken, New York. Nearly 75% of the Town of Shandaken is owned by New York State Forestlands. It is particularly colorful in the autumn. Situated in the Catskills Mountains, 2 hours from New York City, the property has a private 40-acre island on the Esopus Creek. Tennis courts and miles of groomed walking and hiking trails can be found on the island.
Packages span from 3 to 21 nights. Examples include:
- A 3-night Novice Detox plan costs about $1,500.
- A 5-night Classic Recharger plan costs $2,500.
- A 7-night Slim Down plan costs $3,200.
- A 14-night Healthy and Beautiful You plan costs $6,100.
- The 21-night Break Your Old Habits plan is just under $8,700.
The resort also offers seasonal specials such as the Post-Holidays Detox and the Girlfriends Fun Getaway.
The Copperhood Resort and Spa focuses on total body wellness, including aspects of detox, cleanse, and restoration. It achieves these things through the use of organic juices, locally grown ingredients, and raw foods. Outdoor activities are plentiful in this rustic mountain environment. Those activities are intended to revitalize the mind and increase self-confidence. Organized programs include Classic Wellness, Weight Loss and Detox, and Fitness Restoration.
The Copperhood Resort and Spa Pros
- Numerous outdoor activities for all seasons – The private wooded location offers hiking, biking, skiing, snowshoeing, tennis, fly fishing, and nature walks.
- Locally sourced and organic foods – Some menu items are grown on the property, and all meals and juices are prepared fresh.
- Full service day spa – Guests can purchase a variety of massages, facials, and other spa services.
The Copperhood Resort and Spa Cons
- Older Resort – At 26 years old, the property is classically charming, but it could use a modern design boost.
- Fluctuating Temperatures – In the Catskills Mountains of New York State, temperatures can be very cold in winter and hot during summer days. Guests must pack layers and plan for a variety of weather conditions.
- Limited accommodations – There are only 9 standard units at the resort.