About Shane Weight Loss Camp in New York
Camp Shane New York is a family owned and operated summer weight loss camp for boys aged 7-19 and girls aged 7-17 in Ferndale, New York. The main focus of this camp is to make weight loss for overweight children and teens manageable, fun, and sustainable during their three- to nine-week stay.
The program at Camp Shane New York is divided into three three-week sessions, of which parents may choose to send their child or teen to one, two, or all three. During these sessions, campers participate in both indoor and outdoor activities, partake in nutritional cuisine prepared by on-site chefs and guided by a registered dietitian, and enjoy activities such as arts and crafts, social events, theater performances, and more.
Note that Camp Shane New York offers sessions at specific weeks during the summer. For example, in 2018 the three-week sessions run from June 20 to July 9, July 9 to July 30, and July 30 to August 18.
Campers at Camp Shane New York stay in on-site cabins and dorms. Adult counselors sleep in the same cabins/dorms as campers to ensure 24/7 adult supervision and camper safety. No further information on accommodations is provided on their website.
Camp Shane New York offers a variety of activities to make weight loss fun and accessible to young children and teens. The camp offers the use of a wide range of indoor and outdoor facilities including an indoor gym, Olympic-sized pool, outdoor lake, sports fields, and more. Some of the physical activities they offer include:
- Pool Swimming
- Lake Swimming and Kayaking
- Sports (tennis, softball, soccer, football, basketball, hockey, volleyball)
- Spin Classes
- Dance Classes
- Cardio Circuit
- Weight Training
- Water Aerobics
Camp Shane New York offers a healthy cuisine and nutritional education programs to help campers both to lose weight and keep the weight off after their stay. The camp has an on-site registered dietitian who guides the daily food production and service, as well as educates campers on the benefits and importance of eating healthy.
Campers are served three meals and two snacks daily. The camp’s menu includes primarily fresh fruits and vegetables and meals cooked from scratch with minimal sugar and artificial ingredients. These meals include high amounts of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats to keep campers satisfied while helping them to lose weight. The camp can also accommodate vegetarian diets, kosher diets, and campers with food allergies.
After each camper’s stay, his or her parents are provided a copy of the “Camp Shane at Home Booklet,” which offers valuable information on nutrition, cooking, and fitness with the intention of helping parents to help their children keep weight off after they depart from the camp.
In addition to their various fitness activities and nutritious cuisine, Camp Shane New York offers several extra activities to keep campers engaged and excited during their stay. Some of these activities include:
- Arts and Crafts
- Auction Night
- Talent/Fashion Shows
- Camp Fire
- Video Games
- Entertainment Systems
- High-Speed Internet Access
Because of the camp’s proximity to major cities on the east coast, campers also have the opportunity to go on trips to the New York Mountain Creek Waterpark, Philadelphia, New York City, Washington D.C., and Six Flags at an additional cost.
Camp Shane New York also offers Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) services conducted by Camp Shane’s supervising clinician aimed to help campers overcome the mental and behavioral barriers to forming healthier living and eating habits. This service is completely optional and is covered by insurance with a co-pay of $15 per week.
Camp Shane New York is located in Ferndale, New York, in the countryside of the Catskill Mountains. The camp is located about 2 hours Northwest of New York City and 10 minutes from the Catskill Forest Preserve. Those arriving at John F. Kennedy airport in New York can make their way to the camp via rental car or airport shuttle ($75).
Camp Shane New York divides its stay options into three-week sessions, with a minimum stay of three weeks and maximum stay of nine weeks. They also offer weekly extensions for those campers who wish to stay longer than their session allots. The pricing structure and dates (for 2018) are as follows:
- Session 1 (3 weeks | June 20 to July 9): $4,285
- Session 2 (6 weeks | June 20 to July 30): $7,425
- Session 3 (9 weeks | June 20 to August 18): $9,965
- Session 4 (6 weeks | July 9 to August 18): $7,425
- Session 5 (3 weeks | July 30 to August 18): $4,285
- Weekly Extension (per week): $1,428
Parents looking to send their child or teen to a weight loss camp which focuses on making fitness and nutrition fun and sustainable for three, six, or nine weeks during the summer may want to consider Camp Shane New York. Keep in mind that Camp Shane operates in multiple locations including Arizona, Florida, New York, Wisconsin, California, Georgia, and Texas, so be sure to select the location that is most convenient.
Camp Shane New York Pros
- Wide Variety of Activities – Campers can enjoy a range of activities from indoor and outdoor sports to arts and crafts, theater, and much more.
- Fun-focused – Rather than focusing on strict diet and fitness programs, this camp aims to make weight loss fun and accessible for children and teens.
- Central Location – The proximity of this FitStay to major cities and attractions makes possible the inclusion of multiple optional trips for campers to exciting off-site cities and locations.
Camp Shane New York Cons
- Lack of Information on Accommodations – There is a noticeable lack of information regarding accommodations on their website, making it difficult to compare that aspect of this FitStay with others.
- Set Dates – The three two-week sessions offered by Camp Shane New York are held during set dates during the summer. This may not work for everyone.
- No Shorter Stay Options – Those looking for a children and teen weight loss camp for less than two weeks may want to consider a different FitStay.